The edTPA was legislated by 105 ILCS 5/21B-30 (f) (from SB 1799) to say beginning on September 1, 2015, all teacher candidates completing teacher preparation programs in Illinois are required to pass an evidence-based assessment of teacher effectiveness approved by the State Board of Education, in consultation with the State Educator Preparation and Licensure Board. Chicago State University is committed to this endeavor.
The cooperating partners (field-based supervisors and building administrators) play an integral role in the edTPA initiative. If you are a P–12 teacher who supervises or building principal, you will see how edTPA creates a rigorous and meaningful experience for aspiring teachers and students. Teacher candidates will develop lesson plans and deliver instruction consistent with your school’s standards and curricula.
- Work with the teacher candidate to identify the focus lessons and class.
- Assist teacher candidates early on with gathering information about the student backgrounds.
- Guide understanding of curriculum organization in your classroom/school/district.
- Understand that teacher candidate must secure video permission using the ISBE provided form.
- Assist the candidate in recording the video segments.
- Offer emotional support.
edTPA Support Letter to Districts
Illinois State Board of Education
5 edTPA tips for Cooperating Teachers