The Chicago State University College of Pharmacy will be recognized for its impact on the health care needs of diverse populations through its contributions in education, training, scholarship, service and research. The College will serve an integral role within the University by providing a culturally diverse and intellectually stimulated community of scholars engaged in the collective creation and dissemination of knowledge.
The mission of Chicago State University College of Pharmacy (CSU-COP) is the development of student and faculty scholars who will impact the health care needs of people in the region, state and the nation. The College will provide a strong foundation in the knowledge, integration and application of the biomedical, pharmaceutical and clinical sciences resulting in practitioners who are committed to humanistic service, capable of providing patient-centered care and leaders in advancing the pharmacy profession. The College embraces the mission of the University to educate individuals from economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds to strengthen the simultaneous provision of culturally competent care and reduction of health care disparities.
To accomplish its mission, the College of Pharmacy is committed to:
- Recruiting, retaining and graduating student pharmacists from diverse populations;
- Recruiting, hiring and retaining qualified faculty from diverse populations who will be engaged as teachers, scholars, researchers, service providers, mentors and leaders;
- Recruiting, hiring and retaining staff dedicated to supporting the educational mission;
- Offering a curriculum that cultivates analytical thinking, ethical reasoning and decision-making, intellectual curiosity, multidisciplinary and inter-professional collaboration, professionalism and service;
- Enabling students and faculty to provide patient-centered care to diverse patient populations through the safe, evidence-based and cost-beneficial use of medications;
- Fostering an environment for student engagement which encourages leadership in campus, public and professional communities;
- Refining programmatic and curricular goals, policies and procedures through ongoing assessment and evaluation;
- Establishing and enhancing community, educational and professional partnerships;
- Expanding institutional resource capabilities through active pursuit of extramural funding support;
- Developing and strengthening post-graduate education and training opportunities;
- Providing programs and services that promote a supportive atmosphere for life-long learning and continued personal and professional development for students, faculty and staff.
Chicago State University has been granted authority by the Illinois Board of Higher Education to confer the Doctor of Pharmacy degree.