Chicago State University

Admissions Information

Applications for Fall admissions are due on February 1 annually. 

We are currently accepting applications for the next academic year.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I send my application?

Combined BS/MOT Students:

Students who are already enrolled at Health Sciences students with a Pre-Occupational therapy major need to apply for directly to the Department of Occupational Therapy for admission to the professional phase of the program.

MOT Students:

You must complete and submit two applications.

  • Submit your application to the CSU Graduate School to the Graduate School Office in Cook Administration Building Rm 200 or apply online through the CSU online admissions process. All official transcripts should be sent to the graduate school.
  • You must also submit an application to the MOT program directly to the Department of Occupational Therapy in Douglas Hall, rm. 132. Please do not send official transcripts to the Department of Occupational Therapy

Where can I take the Introduction to Occupational Therapy class?

The Introduction to Occupational Therapy Course is usually offered at colleges and universities that have an occupational therapy or occupational therapy assistant program. In Illinois, Chicago State University, Governors State University, South Suburban College and Wright College all offer an introduction course. Additionally, there are many occupational therapy programs throughout the country who offer an introduction course and CSU will accept any school’s course. This course must be completed prior to starting the MOT program. CSU offers the course (OT 2010) online in the fall and summer semester. During the spring semester course is on-campus.

Do I have to complete all pre-requisites before I can apply to the program?

No, you can apply with four or less prerequisites to be completed at the time of applying. Either anatomy or physiology (one course) must be completed when applying in order to evaluate your application. Applicants must explain in their application their plan for completing all prerequisites before starting the MOT program in the fall. Students who are accepted receive a conditional admission pending the successful completion of all prerequisites and the maintaining of the required grade point average.

Can I retake classes to improve my grade point average?

You may retake classes to improve your grade point average, but you may only repeat required prerequisite courses once to improve a grade.

How long is the program?

The program is three years, full-time. It includes 6 long semesters and 2 short summer semesters. Students graduate in May of their third year (if completed full-time). Students who are off track may grad in summer or the winter.

Are scholarships available?

There are a variety of scholarships available to graduate level OT students from various sources such as the American Occupational Therapy Foundation, AMBUCS, and Aftercollege to name a few. Also, the CSU OT department has grants periodically that support students. 

What is the cadaver lab?

The CSU MOT program requires that students have a minimum of 30 hours of lab with a human cadaver. The lab should provide detailed practical examinations on human cadaver anatomy. CSU provides this lab as a separate course for students who have completed a full anatomy course. Other schools have separate cadaver labs or they are embedded within the anatomy course. CSU offers the cadaver lab course (Zoology 2610) every semester.

My school only offers a combined Anatomy and Physiology course. Will that meet the pre-requisites?

Schools provide the anatomy and physiology courses differently. Some schools such as CSU have separate anatomy and physiology courses and students need both courses and the cadaver lab. Other schools have combined anatomy & physiology courses, where the body is divided between two courses. A student must have both courses Anatomy and Physiology I and II to get credit for a full anatomy and physiology course. Some schools have a 30 hours of cadaver lab as part of both courses. CSU will accept these courses as meeting the cadaver lab requirement. If the lab uses only models, or has less than 30 hours of lab time, students will be required to take a cadaver lab prior to starting the program.

Is the GRE required?

The CSU MOT program does not require the GRE examination for admission.

I do not have an upper level instructor for a recommendation. Do I really need it?

Yes, one of the recommendations must be from an upper level (200 level or above) instructor. This recommendation provides evidence of an individual who can speak to your academic potential. While very few schools have their anatomy and physiology listed at a 100 level, we will accept a recommendation from an anatomy or physiology instructor.

Where do I send my official transcripts?

The Office of Graduate Admissions is the place to send all official transcripts. The Office of Graduate Admissions sends copies of all transcripts to the Department of Occupational Therapy once an applicant’s file is complete. Remember the University must receive copies of all schools where you have ever taken college classes whether or not you took a pre-requisite course at that school. You can contact the Office of Graduate Admission directly at 773-995-2404 to make sure that they have received all of your transcripts.

I am an OTA. Do I have to take all of the pre-requisites?

We give OTA’s credit for the Introduction to Occupational Therapy and waive the time limit for the anatomy and physiology for currently practicing OTA’s. OTA program coursework cannot be applied to the MOT program. Since OTA degrees are primarily AS or AAS degrees, students can pursue our combined BS in HSC/MOT program. This combined program has 93 credits in specific pre-requisites that include the general education requirements as well as the specific OT program requirements. A student with an AS or AA degree will be waived from the University general education requirements but need the OT specific pre-requisites and 93 hours of credit before entering the professional sequence.

Can I finish my pre-requisites once I am enrolled in the program?

No, you must complete all prerequisites prior to starting professional coursework. The content of the pre-requisite courses are used as foundational knowledge within the program and students must be able to apply that information from the very beginning of the program.

I want to go part-time. How long will it take to complete the program?

It takes 10 regular semesters and two summer sessions to complete the program part-time; approximately 4 ½ years. Students can take two courses a semester until the last year. The last year is full-time for Level II fieldwork. All courses are during the day and the number of days on campus varies each semester based on the specific courses. Part-time students start in the fall along with all of students. A student can go up to full-time after 4 semesters and completion of the entire first year courses.

If I apply early, can I start classes in the spring semester?

No, the curriculum has a defined sequence for its courses and professional courses are only offered once a year. The department encourages early applications and begins processing the next cohort for admission in September of each year. The department tries to inform students of admission decisions by mid April.

Can I work while I am in the program?

Yes, many students work while in the program. However, students are encouraged to reduce their work to the lowest number of hours possible in order to concentrate on their studies. Most students try to work less than 15 hours.